Why Aren't We Promoting Health to Combat The Virus?
- SARS-CoV-2 is likely here to stay, which means we have to learn to live with it. Seeing how obesity dramatically increases your risk of severe illness and death from COVID-19, your best bet is to lose weight and improve your general health through healthy diet and exercise
- Even mild obesity may boost COVID-19 severity. Patients with mild obesity had a 2.5 times greater risk of respiratory failure and a five times greater risk of being admitted to an ICU compared to non-obese patients
- Inflammation triggered by obesity may be responsible for a threefold greater risk of pulmonary embolism (blood clots in the lungs) in COVID-19 patients who are obese
- Dysregulated lipid synthesis triggered by obesity may aggravate inflammation in the lungs, contributing to increased disease severity during respiratory viral infections
- Processed foods, junk foods and soft drinks are key culprits in the rise of obesity and chronic diseases that in turn increase the likelihood of death from COVID-19