“If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water”- Loren Eiseley
If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water
Total Water Supply on Earth= 332.5 million metre cube
97% of Water on the Planet is saline or otherwise unfit to drink.
2% is encased in ice caps and glaciers
Only 1% of Water is available for all of mankind’s necessities- all of its agricultural, domestic, industrial, community and personal requirements
Each day, America uses 322 Billion Gallons of Water.
Percentage of water varies based on factors including
- Body Size
- Body Shape
- Fat-Muscle Balance
Cells are composed of 60% of total water content in the body
Following chart gives the percentage of water content in each body part in descending order:
What does Water do for you?
- Involved in the hormone and neurotransmitter synthesis
- Forms saliva
- Maintains moisture in mucous membranes
- Regulates internal body temperature
- Helps maintain blood pressure
- Aids in growth, development and reproduction of cells
- Acts as a shock absorber for brain and spinal cord
- Helps in digestion
- Flushes body waste
- Lubricates and cushions joints
- Prevents kidney damage
- Assists in delivering oxygen throughout the body
- Makes skin look healthy, supple and moisturized
- Helps enhance performance during arduous activity
- May help with weight management
What is the required daily amount of fluid?
- Body Weight
- Physical activity
- Environmental Conditions
- Health Status
- Conditions such as Pregnancy/Lactation
Here is the estimate of the minimum fluid intake recommended by age:
Here is the chart of recommended water intake according to the body weight
DID YOU KNOW THE WATER YOU ARE DRINKING IS AT RISK?
Fact #2: Contaminated Water and poor sanitation are associated with waterborne infections cholera, diarrhea, dysentery, hepatitis A, typhoid, and polio.
Fact #3: 485 000 diarrheal fatalities are estimated to be caused by contaminated drinking water annually.
Fact #4: 88% of diarrhea conditions are due to unsafe drinking water, inadequate sanitation and poor hygiene.
Fact #5:,It is estimated that by 2025, 50% of the world’s population will be residing in water-stressed regions
What should you look for in a water purification system?
- Filter out the contaminants
- Leave behind the beneficial minerals such as Calcium, Magnesium and Fluoride
This glass of Water might look clear. Well, Wait!! Would you like to consume this water?
- Industrial Waste from chemical industries, agricultural sites and manufacturing plants
- Sewage from adjacent areas
- Biodegradable waste
- Pesticides and chemicals from farming areas
- Runoff from petroleum products
- Detergents and Fertilizers
- Pharmaceuticals and Personal Care Products
- Storage leakage
- Soil pollution
- Thermal pollution
- Chlorine & Chloramine
- Waterborne protozoa
- Vinyl Chloride
- Pharmaceutical Compounds
- Typhoid Fever
- Escherichia Coli (E. coli)
- Hepatitis A
- Otitis externa/”swimmer’s ear”
- Norovirus infection
- Enterovirus (diarrhea, meningitis, myocarditis, fever, respiratory disease, nervous system disorders, birth defects)
- Hepatitis A virus (hepatitis, liver damage)
- Noroviruses (diarrhea)
- Astrovirus (diarrhea)
- Adenovirus (diarrhea, respiratory disease, eye infections, heart disease)
- Rotavirus (diarrhea)
- Salmonella (typhoid, diarrhea)
- Shigella (diarrhea)
- Campylobacter (diarrhea, nervous system disorders)
- Vibrio cholerae (diarrhea),
- Escherichia coli (certain strains: diarrhea, hemorrhagic colitis).
- Legionella (pneumonia, respiratory infections)
- Giardia lamblia
- Cyclospora caryentensis
- Naegleria fowleri
Did You Know?
- About 7.2 million Americans fall ill annually due to waterborne diseases. (Source: CDC)
- Yearly, more than 3.5 million people die from water-related diseases, with 84% of them being children.
Why Home Water Treatment?
Some of the Existing Choices are:
- Tap Troubles
It is evident that contaminant levels rise when water source levels fall. The factors including corrosion, biological growths, cracks, and leaks in the treatment facilities and distribution hubs degrade water quality.
- Why a big No for Bottled Water?
Every year, Americans use an estimate of 168 plastic bottles
Only one out of every five bottles is recycled, resulting in 3 billion pounds of plastic trash.
Municipal tap water accounts for 40 percent of bottled water
The Antidote is obvious- An Efficient, Reliable Home Water Treatment
Why should you think about investing in a water treatment system?
- Better for your wellness
- Enhanced Taste and Odor
- More convenient, less expensive
- Safer for Environment
- Utilizing technology to your advantage
Choosing the Right Water Treatment System
- Point of Use(POU) System
Filters your water where you use it; could be installed under your kitchen sink or faucet
- Point of Entry (POE) System
Filter the entire quantity of water that comes into your home. Also known as ‘whole home’ systems
- Standard 42- Aesthetic Effects
Tests systems for their ability to reduce drinking water contaminants that affect the taste, odor and clarity of water.
- Standard 53 – Health Effects
Tests systems for their ability to reduce a wide range of contaminants including lead, asbestos, VOCs and pesticides.
- Standard 55 – UV Microbiological Water Treatment System
Tests systems that use UV light for microbial control. Very few systems meet Standard 55.
- Standard 401 – Emerging Compounds/ Incidental Contaminants
Tests systems for their ability to remove up to 15 contaminants including pharmaceuticals, over-the-counter medications, herbicides, pesticides and chemicals like bisphenol A (BPA).
- NSF Protocol P473 – PFOA and PFOS
Tests systems for their ability to reduce perfluorooctanoic acid (PFOA) and perfluorooctane sulfonate (PFOS).
- NSF Protocol P477 – Microcystins
Tests systems for their ability to reduce microcystin (toxins produced by blue-green algae).
- Water Quality Association (WQA) Gold Seal
A mark of product quality and is awarded to systems that have met or exceeded industry standards for contaminant reduction performance, structural integrity and material safety